Wednesday, November 15, 2006

SABBATICAL'S OVER

After losing my blogging partner, I lost my enthusiasm and energy to blog for a few weeks. I've refueled and am back with what I hope are some interesting tid-bits to share.

ABC "20/20" anchor Elizabeth Vargas is a bit miffed that Marie Clare chose to illustrate her recent magazine interview with a fake image of her breastfeeding at the anchor desk. The magazine says the idea was to show how tough it is to balance motherhood with a demanding TV news career -- something we News Moms know all about!

I've never breastfed on air, but I have had my kids in studio during live shots in a pinch when child care didn't work out. A co-worker once did the same, and to this day I remember hearing her youngest giggling in the background of the 11pm news!

But sometimes kids and work mix quite nicely. A few years ago I did on feature on the fertility statues at Ripley's Believe It Or Not Museum. Touch them and you'll get pregnant, they claim. Despite hundreds of testimonials, I was skeptical. Two months later, not only was I pregnant, but so were two other women who covered that event!

Coincidence, I thought. But when the exhibit returned two years later, I thought it would be fun to do the story again featuring my daughter and let viewers decide.

Wouldn't you know -- shortly after that second story my son was born!

News Mom T

3 comments:

Amy said...

Glad you're back! That picture of Vargas is kind of, um, unreal. And it's more shocking/odd than illustrative of any kind of point they were trying to make.

Leo said...

Ditto all that.

Anonymous said...

Wow! So, the fertility statues really worked!