Tuesday, July 29, 2008

JEKYLL AND HYDE

Ever see a really cool kid and think: "I hope MY son is like that when he's older." Or, ever see a screaming toddler and think: "OMG, is my sweet little newborn gonna turn into THAT?!" Yesterday I met both.

In the grocery store, I heard - before I saw - number 2: whining, screaming, kicking the grocery cart. This boy looked about four and was not about to do ANYTHING remotely close to what his mother asked. His sister just sat in the cart quietly sucking her thumb, watching this war of wills.

Now understand, I'm not judging: as the mother of a 4-year-old son myself, I've certainly had those days when you want to scream in public: "No, I really DO teach my kids good behavior!!!"

Hours later, I picked up a friend's son for Vacation Bible School and was truly impressed by this 11-year old. He opened doors for me, carried my bags without being asked and engaged in interesting conversation - as charming as could be.

But it was the story he told me about his mom that put a lump in my throat.

Throughout the hour or so I spent with him, he probably mentioned 5 or 6 times how much he loved his mother. Finally he said: "Do you know WHY I love my mom? Because she plays football with me. Other mothers say 'I don't have time' or 'I don't want to mess up my hair.' But my mom always plays football with me and we have a lot of fun.'"

Wow - I'd love for my 4-year-old to turn into THAT kid! Guess I'd better figure out where the 50-yard line is.

No comments: