Monday, August 28, 2006

FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL

Well, I sent my five-year-old off to kindergarten this morning. What an experience!

There were no tears. I cried mine last night and she didn't cry at all. In fact, she sang all the way to school and bounded out of the car as soon as we arrived. While I was happy to see her so excited, I couldn't help but feel a little sad to see her behaving so independently. The real dagger-through-the heart came when she asked me (about 4 times) to stop holding her hand walking to class. But she did let me give her a kiss. :)

I wish I could spend all day peeking in the classroom window -- not to interfere, but just to see how she reacts to it all. I know what you're saying: "OK Mom, it's time to let go."

I'm getting there.

Feelings aside, I really AM excited to see her take this next step. In fact, it's a big step for all of us. I already have PTA meetings and the principal's coffee updates on my schedule. And shopping for school supplies, I learned a few lessons:

  • Glue sticks are the first to sell out.
  • I never knew there were SO many different types of markers!
  • Don't buy peanut snacks, even if the teacher says it's OK (an allergic kid showed up today)
  • Pack a cold lunch (sandwiches) not leftovers - it never occurred to me she can't nuke it

I'm still undecided about letting my tiny 5-year-old ride the school bus. Two months ago, I was adamantly against it. The bus ride, I'm fine with. It's getting off and on that bother me. Who's in charge at the bus stop? What if she gets on the wrong bus? What if she gets off at the wrong stop? What if she gets to school and can't find her class and wanders off?

And of course, being a NewsMom, stories I've covered come to mind:

How safe is the bus? When was it last inspected? Did they do a background check on the driver? Does he/she have a criminal record the school system doesn't know about?

OK, by now even I realize I suffer from what my father-in-law calls "overprotective parent syndrome." And sometimes all you need is a dose of reality to cure it. When I pulled up to the school this morning, traffic was horrible. I had to park two blocks away. A parent told me it'll be weeks before things return to normal -- and even then, the new parking lot is too small, so good luck finding a spot.

As we walked I thought about how I'll manage next week once my three-year-old is with us. Then I saw all those smiling little kids (including our neighbor) getting off the school bus, and I thought:

maybe the bus isn't so bad after all.

T

1 comment:

Leo said...

I don't know how you let your kids do anything when you are in the news business covering all the scary stories ... eek.