Thursday, July 06, 2006

ROSES AND FRESH BREATH

I couldn’t help but laugh out loud (yes, in the newsroom -- although I don’t think anyone noticed) when I read my colleague’s post.

"T" urged you to "stop and smell the roses" even though -- if you’re like the two of us -- you seem to always be running late getting the kids out the door, and consequently, getting yourself to work.

Mostly I laughed because I imagined our boss reading that "T" is taking the time to smell the roses when she's admittedly tardy...but I also laughed because I can relate.

Just this morning, I had a "stop and smell the fresh breath" moment with my three year old son, who normally needs a whole lot of poking and prodding (and sometimes forceful lifting) to get him up from his morning cartoons -- never mind getting him to brush his teeth before school!

Today, after I'd gotten him dressed -- a feat I accomplished while he was sitting on the sofa stuffing Cheerios in his mouth and watching TV-- and after we'd packed lunches, gotten shoes on, and opened the front door -- he disappeared.

"Where are you?" we called.

"I'm getting my tootbrush," he yelled from upstairs. "We forgot to brush my teeth!" (This kid NEVER remembers to brush his teeth on his own.)

He walked down with a proud smile, toothbrush and toothpaste in hand. I took a minute to brush his teeth, making sure I did a thorough job, even though we were late.

And then I kissed him goodbye -- which was all the sweeter because his breath smelled fresh!

So you see, "T" may have her roses, but I have my son's fresh breath.

It's all the same though, and that's the whole point of our musings.

We hope you see yourself in us and know you're not alone. And we hope you too will be able to laugh at yourself - even if you do get to work a few minutes late, only to discover you've missed the morning meeting AGAIN because those roses were calling your name.

News Mom "V"

No comments: