Wednesday, October 04, 2006

DO YOU GET THE FLU SHOT?

I must admit -- I'm a HEALTH reporter and I've never had the flu shot. Never had the flu, either. I'm in that 50% of Americans who (experts say mistakenly) think the shot could actually give them the flu. Today I covered the story and learned some things I didn't know about why people think the vaccine will make them sick.

There are tons of non-flu viruses floating around this time of year -- some with flu-like symptoms, but not as deadly. When people get the shot, then catch one of these viruses, they assume the shot was either ineffective or actually gave them the flu.

Also, making the flu vaccine is a guessing game. Every year the experts try to predict which strain will be most prevalent, and make a vaccine to protect against those strains. Sometimes they're wrong, and people end up getting a type of flu that wasn't covered by the vaccine.

Last year's vaccine was 75-95% effective against influenza A (the kind most people get) but not very effective at all against influenza B. One in five people got influenza B -- and the vaccine did very little to help. Even those who got the more common "flu A" had up to a 1 in 4 chance of getting a version of it not covered by the vaccine.

One reason experts push vaccination, especially for kids and seniors at high risk, is to develop a societal immunity against flu. Viruses change and can become resistant to anything we develop. But like other illnesses we've wiped out (think polio and measles), if we can get most people immune to it, it will eventually go away.

One more interesting point: you may have heard about the antiviral medications for flu. Experts admit they're the best we have but not extremely effective. The best they can do is shorten your illness by one day.

I think I WILL get my kids flu shots this year, because both are in high risk groups. Two things changed my mind: the fact that 36,000 Americans die every year from the flu, and most of the children who die needlessly are kids with asthma and other chronic illnesses who were supposed to get the flu shot, and didn't.

T

4 comments:

Amy said...

I usually get the shot myself, so I can stay healthy in case my husband or kids get the flu. Our six-year-old isn't high risk, so he doesn't get it, but our toddler does since he is still so young -and in daycare part time. I was surprised to see signs for the shot at the pharmacies and doctor's offices already.

Leo said...

I'm with Mrs. D. I get it. I figure - well if there's a chance it might help me - why not?

Anonymous said...

Don't feel bad. I'm a pediatrician and I haven't yet had myself or my kids immunized. I will though. There is some interesting new evidence that there may be some crossover in preventing birdflu, possibly the next great health threat of the century.

The Mommy Blawger said...

Doesn't the flu shot still contain Thimerosol? No thanks.