Tuesday, October 24, 2006

SEPARATE BUT EQUAL?


The U.S. Department of Education today made it easier for public schools to create same-sex classes. Some research shows girls do better learning with girls and boys with boys. Schools would also have to offer co-ed classes so parents can opt-out.

Supporters say kids are more likely to stretch their interests when they don't have to fear being the only boy in cooking or the only girl in woodworking. They argue especially in middle school and beyond, students focus better without distractions from the opposite sex.

Opponents -- who include NOW and female university professors -- say the only reason kids seem to do better in same-sex classes is because those classes are smaller and get the best teachers and resources. They fear segregating boys and girls will leave the rest of the students stripped of the best tools for learning.

I have to wonder. My kindergartener seems to be more distracted by the girls in her class than the boys. I guess it's the girl-envy thing. I know that will change as she gets older. But in a same-sex school, how well-prepared would she be to deal with boys in real life?

On the other hand, there's something powerful about the idea of a class full of girls who can beat the pants off their male counterparts in a science fair competition!

News Mom T

4 comments:

Amy said...

Having worked for nearly three years at a women's college, and having attended a former women's college (that had gone co-ed just a few years before I started there), I would fully support single-sex classrooms.

I also think that many teachers favor girls, especially in the younger grades, and get easily frustrated with boys. Newsweek did a great story earlier this year about how the educational system as a whole favors girls - a complete 180 from 30 years ago, when it favored boys.

I would jump at the chance to put my sons in an all-male class, but it would be nice to have those classes within a school for both girls and boys so they could have some classes and activities together.

JanaM said...

As a woman who attended an all girls high school, I am in full support of same sex classromms. We had a brother school with opportunities to interact with the boys, but while we were in school, we were much more focused. I found that experience as one that helped me to develop into the strong, well grounded, independent woman that I am today making me a better wife and mother. Girls can be so caught up with how they look and who they are impressing in the older grades. It is a venue where girls can just be girls and those who might be shy or intimidated with speaking up in front of boys,find the comfort level to be a strong voice. I still treasure the special bonds that I developed with my classmates because of the single sex school and feel very fortunate to have had that experience. Kids are exposed to too many things at too early of an age forcing them to grow up before they are developmentally ready. This could help slow that process down a little.

Leo said...

I'm not an expert, but I think I disagree. I don't have any experience with same-sex education being a child of public school. I believe my life was similarly enriched by being in classes with boys and girls, by being on a debate team with boys and girls, and by going to college with both genders. I am unconvinced me that segregating classes does not feed into, support and encourage gender stereotyping. I remain open-minded on the issue, but I'm a skeptic.

Leo said...

I'm not an expert, but I think I disagree. I don't have any experience with same-sex education being a child of public school. I believe my life was similarly enriched by being in classes with boys and girls, by being on a debate team with boys and girls, and by going to college with both genders. I am unconvinced me that segregating classes does not feed into, support and encourage gender stereotyping. I remain open-minded on the issue, but I'm a skeptic.