Thursday, October 05, 2006

MEDICAL STUDIES AND PARENTAL GUILT

A study out this week finds breastfeeding does not make your baby any smarter than babies of non-breastfeeding moms.

Of course, many studies have outlined the benefits of breastfeeding, but if you're a mom who decided not to breastfeed, or simply couldn't, this is one less thing to feel guilty about -- you have not compromised your baby's intelligence.

As a journalist, I cover a lot of medical studies. Many of them, especially those involving the health of children, can be scary and disturbing for parents.

Last year I read a study that found gaining more than your recommended weight during pregnancy may increase the risk of testicular cancer in male children later in life.

Initially, I felt terrible (and guilty) because I had gained a lot of weight during my pregnancies.

And then common sense took over. One study on the topic doesn't mean my little boy WILL be a victim of testicular cancer, only that it COULD happen.

And who knows, a study done next year might find no link at all between pregnancy weight and testicular cancer.

V.

3 comments:

Scribbit said...

If I listen to the news and every medical report coming out I'd start to believe my children couldn't possibly live past the age of 20. Everything seems to be dangerous, doesn't it? As I understand it testicular cancer has one of the highest survival rates of any cancer too. You're right, one more thing to feel guilty about.

Anonymous said...

The methods used to prove or disprove an association between bf and intelligence are so problematic. There are so many confounding factors that conclusions can be tough. While we may think that the jury is still out, no study like this is really necessary to prove the benefits of breast milk

Leo said...

Just do your best, right? I even let one sleep on his belly. Of course, not without guilt!