Saturday, October 07, 2006

THE SCHOOL FUNDRAISER


They happen so early in the year! My daughter had barely been in preschool a few weeks before the packet came home. This year, with two schools, we got two books of magazines and gift wrap to sell. (Oh - and don't forget those "make your own gourmet pizza" kits. I've still got one in the freezer from last year.)

Now don't get me wrong: I believe in supporting the school. I saw all the great programs the fundraiser paid for last year. But a saleswoman I am NOT. And make no mistake -- it's the parents fundraiser. That 5-year-old "top seller" who raised $1,500 last year? Believe me, she didn't do it alone.

Unlike when I was in school, kids can no longer sell door-to-door, for safety reasons. That's good. But it leaves parents begging their friends and co-workers to buy yet another tub of cookie dough (the last one I bought stayed in the freezer for two years). That's just not my forte.

What's nice about the fundraisers is that some are now online. So you can simply send out an email to family and friends and they can buy online and have it delivered home -- and your child gets credit. No more lugging around boxes of perishables and knick-nacks in the minivan.

They've made it so easy. That's why I feel so horrible that this year I just plain forgot.

The packets stayed in my "to do" bag for weeks and when I realized it, the deadline was here. So there I was last night, online just before midnight ordering a few items so my daughter wouldn't be the only one in her class not to receive the "light-up school mascot pin" that every kids gets for participating.

So here's fair warning to all my family and friends -- you escaped this year, but I'll be hitting you up next year with a vengeance!

For now, I'm just shaking off guilt so I can enjoy my Brown Sugar Body Polish when it arrives.

News Mom T

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Brown sugar body polish. I thought this was a family site? While I sometimes feel like a slug, my wife and I typically "buy out" of the fundraisers. I as well hate groveling for donations in exchange for stale candy. The only thing I hate worse are those who hit me up at work.

Anonymous said...

Ha - it's a fancy name for body scrub... so Bryan we're still G-rated here. :) I figured if I HAD to buy something, it was not going to be another tub of cookie dough to sit in my fridge till next year's fundraiser. Might as well indulge! :)