Friday, September 22, 2006

THE MOMMA MACHINE!

I admit it - I LOVE my minivan!

Unlike some of my friends, I'm not ashamed to drive around in that square silver Mom-mobile that screams "She's got kids!" In fact, it amuses me when people play the car-guessing game:

"You drive a Lexus?"
"No, she's definitely a Porche."

Ha -- if they only knew! I am perfectly satisfied jetting around town in my -- well, I won't advertise, but it's one of the most popular models. You probably saw 20 of them on the way to work. "V" has one, too.

I was a small car person until we bought the van. At first I protested: "I can't drive this big thing!" But you have to get the right model. Mine turns on a dime and accelerates like I'm on the NASCAR circuit (well, almost.)

Sure, sometimes I envy my friends with SUVs -- until I see them at the gas station. I've told them, if you look at my van from a certain angle, and don't focus on the back end, it looks like an SUV (insert laughter here).

My minivan is like our house-on-wheels, so for me the key was having all the right accessories:
  • a powerful hand-vac for picking up Cheerios, confetti and potato chips that were stepped on (I actually stopped and bought it before bringing the van home)
  • backseat organizers for all the kids "stuff"
  • a designated compartment for snacks ("Mommy, I'm HUNGRY!")
  • a grocery compartment for fliers, coupons, etc.
  • a laundry bag and "catch-all" basket in the rear

I specifically did NOT want a DVD. My philosophy was that trips are family time to talk to, not ignore, your kids. But one 12-hour trip and hubby convinced me otherwise. So we bought the plug-in kind. We only use it on long trips, and only for a few hours. But it is nice to have.

One day I'll outgrow the van and get a "grown up" car. I dream of cruising the open road in one of those extremely expensive convertibles where my hair can flow in the wind.

For now, I'll just open the window.

T

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"T" I too just love my minivan which is now 10 yrs. old. I hope I don't have to get any other auto; but, if I do, I've been looking at that Honda Hybird "Station Wagon". June Cleaver I'm not but Hybird anything above average size seems great. Kj

Anonymous said...

"Peanut",
Surprise, surprise. I've just begun reading your blog and I LOVE EVERYTHING THAT I'VE READ SO FAR. Regarding the Mommy Machine, eventhough I don't have my own children, all the children are mine so I'm always picking up someone else kids. At first I hated my Mini Van, but now I would be lost without it. Mine came with a DVD. Imagine Christmas time . . . with a car full of small children screaming. NOW . . .imagine a van full of small children laughing and singing Christmas songs. It's just wonderful. I recommend keeping the Christmas movie specials in the car, so all you would have to do is pop it in. It truly makes for an enjoyable ride. Kiss baby Peanut and Baby Walnut for me.
YW