Friday, September 15, 2006

OUR OBESE KIDS

Here's news you can use:

What our mothers and grandmothers called "pleasantly plump" is now known as "overweight" or "obese." Several years ago the government adjusted the scales, and overnight thousands of Americans got the bad news.

Thus, came the generation of bottled water, salads, and five-day-a-week workouts, as we tried to shed those pounds. But did we share those new habits with our children?

The Institute of Medicine reported this week that a third of American children and teenagers are overweight or obese, and the numbers are rising. Its report "Progress in Preventing Childhood Obesity" found little progress at all. (Here's the link: www.iom.edu/CMS/3788/25044/36980.aspx.)

The report applauded efforts by communities, schools and the food industry but said those efforts are few and far between and aren't being monitored. So noone knows if they're really working.

The IOM made a number of recommendations. Let's focus on advice to parents. We should be asking:

  • Are the meals I'm serving healthy?
  • Are the portion sizes too big?
  • Do we make exercise a family priority?
  • Do we watch too much TV/videogames/computers? (Kids gain weight when they're sitting around.")
In short, they're urging us to get our mini couch potatoes MOVING -- not just at home, but at school. Just this week I talked to a mom who fought to lengthen her son's 10-minute recess. Shockingly, I'd just discovered that my daughter's school serves French toast sticks with syrup and (sugary) strawberry milk for lunch. I wouldn't serve that at home! The schools need to hear from us!

If you're like me, the prospect of so many lifestyle changes can be daunting. But the IOM advises that even small changes (like switching from whole milk to 2%) can make a big difference.

It's something to think about. I'm on deadline, but maybe I'll take a quick walk to get lunch today instead of ordering fast food.

T

1 comment:

JanaM said...

I am happy to say that our middle school is taking a vested interest in teaching kids about making good food choices. My 7th grader is in the first rotation of tech ed and the teacher pointed out all of those not so great statistics. She is determined to really educate them on good, healthy eating habits and evaluating what they eat. I am afraid that as much as I try, I am going to be found guilty of providing some less than healthy foods and drinks too! It makes us all rethink what we put into our bodies and those of our children past the "Gerber" years when we were so diligent about healthy eating.