Friday, September 29, 2006

TECHNOLOGY AND EDUCATION

When I was in school, if you got in trouble, at least you had time to rush home and think of a good story before the teacher called. Even better, the teacher sent a note home -- giving me a chance to practice "creative writing" (read: forgery).

Email and instant messaging have changed everything.

This week I got an email from my kindergartner's teacher about behavior problems. Thanks to technology, I knew all the details before confronting her. Due to our schedules we played phone tag, but kept in touch through email to resolve the situation and schedule my next volunteer day.

We can now print homework from the teacher's web site -- so "my dog ate it" is no longer an excuse. Our district posts high schoolers' grades and attendance online. Some preschools even offer web sites with web cams, so working parents can peak into their child's classroom during the day. And I keep up with PTA and other school news through the listserv.

Last year I helped my out-of-state stepdaughter with English by logging onto the teacher's web site. I could see what assignments she missed, read the papers she uploaded, read the teacher's comments and see her grades.

Now that my kindergartner's learning to read, a teacher at our school recommended a great website (www.starfall.com) where she can practice phonics and "read" books online.

How the world has changed!

But nothing beats cuddling with your kids to read a bedtime story. Even in this digital age, they still enjoy that the most!

T

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your blog! I found you through BlogHer! Welcome to the Blogosphere! It's a ride, that's for sure!

Leo said...

Good points. Sometimes in the mad rush to worry about how technology is 'bad' for our kids' generation - we forget some of the good things.